Skip to Content
Law Offices of Virginia L. Landry, Inc. Law Offices of Virginia L. Landry, Inc.
Available 24/7 949-694-8804

What to Do if You’re Charged with an Out of State DUI


Facing a DUI charge in your own state is complicated enough, but when you’ve been charged with an out of state DUI, the situation can become even more complex. Get the facts on an out of state DUI so you know how to defend your rights.


When drivers who carry licenses from other states get arrested and charged with a DUI in California, there are several complications that will need to be addressed and handled by an experienced criminal defense attorney. Those facing an out of state DUI charge have a lot to lose, as they may be forced to surrender their driving privileges both in California and in their home state if convicted.

Drivers from out of state will go through the same process that a California driver would when charged with a DUI. This includes attending a DMV hearing, which will determine the possible suspension of the defendant’s driving privileges, and a criminal proceeding, which will determine whether or not the defendant was guilty of drunk driving.

Whether or not the defendant loses their driving privileges in their home state will depend on whether their home state is a member of the Interstate Driver's License Compact, which is an agreement between 45 states that allows the states to communicate with one another about driving-related crimes like a DUI. Your attorney will know whether your state falls under this classification and can help you minimize potential consequences.


If you have been charged with an out of state DUI, our attorneys at the Law Offices of Virginia L. Landry are here to help. In a situation this complex, it’s in your best interest to work with California’s DUI Queen to ensure your rights are protected throughout the process. We will fight hard on your behalf and guide you through the criminal proceedings while keeping your best interests in mind.

Contact us today at (949) 694-8804 to learn how we can assist you.