Skip to Content
Law Offices of Virginia L. Landry, Inc. Law Offices of Virginia L. Landry, Inc.
Available 24/7 949-694-8804

What Happens if I Don't Pay My DUI Fines?


If you were arrested for driving under the influence (DUI) in California, you probably have a lot going through your mind. One thing you’ve probably thought about is what would happen if you were convicted of DUI, but failed to pay your DUI court fines.

Not paying one’s court-ordered fines may be irresponsible, but sometimes bad things happen to good people, thereby making it impossible for them to pay their DUI-related fines. We provide more information on what can happen if you do not pay your fines.

Will there be a warrant out for my arrest?

If you fail to pay your DUI fines within the required time period, the court may issue a warrant for your arrest and probation violation. One of the terms of a DUI probation is typically to pay the fines, and by failing to pay them, you are violating these terms. 

Can I just pay the fine and avoid charges?

If you can pay the fine, the better your chances of avoiding an arrest. The longer you wait in such a scenario, the worse it can get. If you’re nervous about going to court and not walking out, you can secure a lawyer to go to appear in court on your behalf, especially if you don’t want to go to jail.

Will I go to jail for not paying DUI fines?

While you may not be taken into custody, if you show up to court with the best intentions, the judge may still impose jail time because of your failure to pay.

How do I know if I have a warrant?

If you or someone you love is in this situation, contact an experienced Orange County DUI such as Virginia L. Landry. Attorney Landry can check to see if a warrant has been issued, and if so, she may be able to recall the warrant without you having to show up to court.

When you’re proactive and confront the issue head-on, your chances of getting back on track are much greater than if you swept the problem under the rug, which would inevitably lead to you constantly looking over your shoulder and worrying about every knock on your front door.

What can an attorney do to help me?

If you hire a lawyer, they can appear on your behalf and help get you back on track. If you don’t hire an attorney and you go to court on your own, be prepared to pay something that day and hope that the judge doesn’t sentence you to jail. If this is a first violation, it’s difficult to predict the outcome, but your chances of reaching a positive result are greater if you have legal representation.

Share To: