If you happen to live in South Orange County, California or nearby, you’re well-aware of the fact that the whole tone changes during the summer. The beaches become crowded with tourists, the nightlife along Pacific Coast Highway picks up, and everyone seems to be in a better mood.
Whether you’re staying a couple of nights in a seaside resort, meeting up with out-of-town friends at one of the local hotspots, or hosting your own summer bash, surely, alcohol is going to be involved to one degree or another. There’s just something about enjoying the sunshine and good company with an ice-cold beer, a glass of wine, or another cocktail (or three or four).
Summer DUIs in OC’s Beach Cities
Each year, from Memorial Day to Labor Day, Orange County’s beach cities get very busy. Between all of the locals and the seasonal tourists, there are more drunk drivers on the roads during the summer than usual, and that’s understandable. If you happen to notice an increase in patrol cars on PCH during the busy season, it’s for good reason. Local law enforcement is on high-alert for drunk and drugged drivers during the summer and you can spot them round-the-clock.
If you’re an Orange County resident, you have more to worry about than the bumper-to-bumper traffic on Laguna Canyon, the 5 and 405 freeways. You have to worry about law enforcement nabbing you for drunk driving. In order to stay DUI-free, don’t forget to drink responsibly this summer. If you follow these tips, you can be sure that you have a fun, yet safe summer:
- Plan ahead. If you know you’ll be drinking alcohol, either bring along a designated driver or have Uber or Lyft pick you up and take you to your destination.
- If you fail to plan and you end up drinking, call a cab, Uber, or ask to crash on a friend’s couch.
- If you live near the bar or place you plan on drinking at, walk instead of driving. However, be careful of walking home while drunk. If you have way too much to drink, you can be arrested for public intoxication.
- If you’re low on cash, you can always take public transportation, even though this isn’t the preferred method. However, it’s a lot better than a DUI!
- If you’re hosting a party where alcohol is being served, pay attention to your guests. If someone has had too much to drink, take their keys away from them and arrange for a safe ride home.
At the Law Offices of Virginia L. Landry, Inc., we’re not against having fun. We just want to make sure that everyone who drinks does so responsibly and avoids drinking and driving! If you do however, get a summer DUI, don’t hesitate to contact our firm for a hard-hitting defense!