In Orange County, California, most of the people who are convicted of driving under the influence (DUI) are placed on DUI probation, which is favorable because probation allows defendants to continue working and supporting their families. When you are granted probation, you must agree to follow a list of probation terms or conditions. If you violate one of the terms, you can be charged with a probation violation (PV), the judge can revoke your probation and you can be incarcerated in jail or prison.
In California, DUI probation lasts from three to five years depending on the facts of the case. Some of the conditions are the same for all DUI offenses, whereas others are imposed depending if it’s a first, second, or third DUI. Essentially, the terms depend on whether it’s a first-time or repeat offender.
General DUI probation terms:
- Do not break any law.
- Spend a certain number of days in jail.
- Pay specific fines and penalties.
- Do not drive without proof of auto insurance and a valid driver’s license.
- Do not go near bars and liquor stores.
- Do not possess or consume alcohol.
- Do not drive after drinking any amount of alcohol.
- Pay restitution if you are required to.
- Follow all orders from the DUI Court, the Probation Department and jail.
- Agree to submit to a chemical test if a peace officer asks you to.
No Alcohol While on DUI Probation
As we mentioned above, you cannot drive with any measurable alcohol in your system while on probation for DUI. If you are caught driving under the influence while on DUI probation and your BAC was .04% or above, or if you refuse to submit to a chemical test, you may have to spend 48 hours in jail, or face a probation revocation.
Additionally, the above PVs will cause your license would be automatically suspended by the DMV for one year. If your license is at risk, contact the DMV within 10 days of the arrest to request a DMV hearing where you can challenge your license suspension.
Are you facing DUI charges in Orange County? If so, contact our firm for a free consultation with the DUI Queen! Let us help you resolve this situation sooner than later.