While the nation is trying to figure out how to survive, we are still here to help with all of your legal needs. We have already implemented procedures to protect our staff as well as our clients. We are available by phone to help you as you struggle through what to do next with your legal concerns. We remain dedicated to providing you top notch service, our legal expertise, and the social distancing that is necessary at this time. Please check us out on Facebook for daily updates as to court closures throughout Southern California. Be well!

Orange County's DUI Queen®
Our DUI Blog Stay Current With DUI Related News

How Do I Get My License After an Underage DUI?

Are you one of those people who drove when you were a teenager, before you actually got your driver’s license? If so, welcome to the club. Not that we’re condoning driving without a license, but it’d be foolish to deny the fact that millions of teens get a “taste” of driving before they even get their learner’s permit.

Perhaps your parents let you drive in an empty parking lot after business hours. Perhaps you drove your dad’s 4X4 when you went off-roading. Or, maybe you snuck out with your mom’s SUV while your folks were in bed asleep.

Did you get busted for driving under the influence before you even had a valid driver’s license? If you’ve never had a license before, how can you obtain one now that the underage DUI is in the past?

Let’s say that you recently completed your DUI program and classes and now it’s been over a year since your DUI. If you get your SR22, will you be able to go to the DMV and get your driver’s license, even though you’ve never had one?

What You Need to Know

Because it’s been over a year since the DUI and you completed all of your requirements, you should be eligible for a license now.

Usually, if you’re licensed you cannot drive for one-year. If you didn't have a license when you got an underage DUI, then there would have been a one-year hold on your ability to obtain your first driver’s license.

This is called the one-year “hard” suspension. As long as your hard suspension has expired and you have completed all of the court-imposed requirements, including purchasing SR22 insurance, you can apply for a driver’s license at your local DMV.

We hope this information helps. If you are facing underage DUI charges, contact our firm to schedule a free case evaluation. Our lead attorney is Board Certified in DUI defense!