DUI Checkpoint Defense in Orange County
Call the Law Offices of Virginia L. Landry Today!
In California, it is not uncommon to see DUI checkpoints set up on frequented
streets during the weekends. Of course, these checkpoints are designed
to keep drunk or impaired drivers off the road in order to keep the streets
safe. However, checkpoints must be conducted under specific rules and
regulations in order to be considered lawful.
In fact, years ago, the California Supreme Court established the laws and
regulations regarding DUI checkpoints. Each of these regulations pertains
to the following factors of DUI checkpoint processes:
- Examining the level of intrusiveness involved during the stop
- Establishing when and how the checkpoint operated
- Determining responsibility for the decision made during the checkpoint
Because checkpoints must be conducted in a certain manner, it is urgent
to get in touch with an experienced Orange County DUI checkpoint defense
lawyer if you have been arrested for DUI while driving through a checkpoint.
If you were accused of operating a vehicle while under the influence, do
not wait to secure legal representation right away. Our team of
Orange County DUI defense attorneys can examine the details of your case and fight to protect your rights.
Understanding the DUI Checkpoint Process
When conducting a checkpoint, law enforcement officers must follow a specific
process and adhere to the following steps in order for the checkpoint
to be considered lawful:
- Warning lights must be apparent and visible
- Decisions must be made at the supervisory level
- The safety of officers and the public must be considered first and foremost
- The checkpoint’s location must be determined by officials
- Officers are not permitted to detain drivers longer than necessary
- A neutral predetermined strategy must be used to determine which cars are
stopped at the checkpoint
- The checkpoint must be publicly posted beforehand
- The timespan of the checkpoint must be limited to a point in which it is
effective and non-intrusive
How We Can Protect Your Rights After a Checkpoint Arrest
The most important and useful factor we utilize when defending your case
involves the understanding of California’s DUI checkpoint rules
and regulations. Such rules and regulations can be interpreted in different
ways, and law enforcement officers can use the general public’s
misunderstanding to their advantage, leaving innocent drivers at risk
for life-long consequences if convicted of DUI.
Arrested in a Checkpoint? Call Us Today.
Do not wait to contact legal representation. Call our Orange County DUI
checkpoint defense lawyers today. We are ready to put our experience on
your side, and we are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Discuss your case today with our legal team!