It’s that time of year again, the 4th of July is just around the
corner. Orange County locals and tourists alike love to celebrate the
holiday with friends, family, barbeques, and let us not forget, fireworks
on Laguna Beach. Unfortunately, alcohol-fueled celebrations turn tragic
when impaired drivers hit the road, causing drunk driving collisions and
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA),
the iconic American holiday is one of the deadliest holidays of the year,
second only to New Year’s due to the high numbers of
drunk driving accidents.
Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs is a serious crime and
if you’re caught, you can be placed under arrest and face fines,
DUI probation, driver’s license suspension, DUI School, AA classes,
and possibly jail. However, you can avoid the consequences of a DUI if
you take a few simple precautions before heading out to celebrate on the 4th.
Tips for staying safe this July 4th:
- Whenever you plan on drinking, designate a sober driver and hand them your keys.
- If you drink, call Lyft, Uber, a taxi, a friend or a family member to get
you home safely. Or, you can ride a bus. It may be less glamorous, but
it beats a DUI!
- If you can’t get a ride, see if you can crash on your friend’s
couch. It’s better to sleep it off than it is to risk a DUI.
- Wear a seatbelt. If you’re in a car accident with a drunk driver
and you’re not wearing a seatbelt, you’ll likely die.
- If you don’t want to leave your car, call AAA to take you and your car home.
- If you’re close enough, consider walking home.
- Remember, “Friends don’t let friends drive drunk.” If
you see a friend or even an acquaintance about to drink and drive, take
away their keys and arrange a safe ride home for them.
- Don’t walk alone in dangerous neighborhoods. Your inhibitions may
be down, but “beer guts” won’t stop you from being assaulted
Remember, an expensive cab ride is still much cheaper than a
- If you’re hosting a party, keep an eye on your guests. Don’t
let an impaired guest drive home. Instead, arrange a safe ride home for
them, or offer to have them spend the night.
Independence Day is the time to load up the car and go visit friends or
family. Barbeques, pool and beach parties, fireworks, American flags,
wine and beer signify one of America’s favorite pastimes. Help us
make it a safe holiday by drinking responsibly.
What to Do If You’re Arrested for DUI on the Fourth
Contact the Law Offices of Virginia L. Landry, Inc. if you or someone you
love do get arrested for drunk or drugged driving. Our Orange County DUI
attorney is a
Board Certified DUI expert and can provide you with a hard-hitting defense!
at (877) 384-7833 to schedule your
free case evaluation!