The weekend is a great time to blow off steam after the stress of dealing
with deadlines, production, and steep targets after a busy week at work.
How do you relax after a 40, 50, or even 60 hour workweek? You may choose
to hang out with friends or coworkers at a local bar, restaurant, or club.
Or, invite your friends or family over for dinner or a barbeque filled
with plenty of drinks to go around.
While relaxing at the end of the week may seem like the perfect time to
let loose and let your guard down, nothing can be worse than being arrested for
DUI. A DUI arrest after a night of drinking can make for a rough Monday morning
when you have to tell your boss and co-workers about your run-in with the law.
Depending on what you do for a living, that
DUI arrest can mean you’ll lose face at the office, not to mention your job.
What You Can Do to Prevent a DUI Arrest
When you are out drinking, whether at a fancy bar or at a friend's
house, there are some simple steps you can take to make sure that you
do not suffer the stresses of being pulled over by the police on your way home.
Tips for preventing a DUI arrest:
- Limit the amount of drinks you have based on the type of alcohol. One drink
or none at all is best if you’ll be driving.
- Plan for a ride BEFORE you know you'll be driving. We highly recommend
downloading the Uber and Lyft apps on your smartphone if you haven’t already.
- Attend an event with at least one other person and have one of you be the
designated driver. If you’re the DD, don’t let your friend
down by indulging in alcohol. The DD is sober, not “less drunk”
than his or her friends.
- Participate in activities besides drinking, such as dancing, singing karaoke,
or playing video or board games.
- Take some drinks "virgin," or without alcohol as you hang out
- Make arrangements to stay at someone's house if you get drunk.
- Decide to end the night early to control the amount that can be consumed.
- Remember, law enforcement are on the lookout for impaired drivers, especially
in popular areas near bars, restaurants, and nightclubs!
Taking some simple steps to prevent DUI can mean the difference between
threatening your future and getting home safe and sound. What may seem
like a slight inconvenience at first can save you time, money on court
fees and skyrocketing insurance premiums, and your spotless (we hope)
If you’ve been arrested and need the services of an experienced Orange
County DUI defense attorney,
contact the Law Offices of Virginia L. Landry, Inc. for board-certified representation!